TikTok has come a long way from its origins as a cute lip-syncing app with a cult Gen Z following. The short-form video sharing platform now has around three-quarters of a billion active users worldwide.
And if you’re at all familiar with the app, you’ve probably heard a lot about the For You Page (FYP). Considered the “holy grail” of success on the app, getting featured on the FYP can present many benefits for your business.
In this post, we’re going to cover exactly what TikTok’s FYP is, how it benefits your business, and eight ways to get on it so you can increase your engagement and brand exposure.
What is the FYP on TikTok?
The For You Page (or FYP) is the first page users land on when they open the TikTok app. It shows them a curated feed of videos from creators they might not follow, but that TikTok’s algorithm thinks they might like, based on their interests and past interactions. TikTok’s aim is to keep users there longer with targeted content.
What’s so great about the FYP?
It’s simply not enough to post great content on TikTok and hope users will start following you. You need to get in front of large audiences and at the top of your prospects’ minds—and landing on the FYP can get you there.
Getting on the FYP can help you:
- Gain more followers: The FYP is the first thing users see when they open the app, so it provides enormous exposure. And it’s particularly advantageous if you want to market to Gen Z audiences and Millennials, as close to 70% of its user base is under the age of 39.
- Earn money: With more TikTok exposure comes more TikTok followers and more sales. And once you reach the 10,000 follower milestone, you can also start making money from your videos with the TikTok Creator Fund.
- Win sponsorships: Once the algorithm starts pushing your content out to a broader audience, you’ll start to be recognized as an authority in your niche. This could lead to paid sponsorships.
- Make sales for your company: Landing on the FYP will help you get more follows and likes as well as increase brand awareness. And that can quickly translate into more sales for your company.
- Build your online presence: Once you’ve achieved FYP status, you can start using TikTok to redirect traffic to your other platforms and build your overall online presence.
8 ways to get on TikTok’s FYP
The algorithm TikTok uses to select content for its FYP remains shrouded in mystery. However, there are several strategies you can employ to improve your chances of winning a starring role on the FYP stage.
Here are eight ways to increase your chances of getting featured on the TikTok For You Page.
1. Consistently post at the right time
It stands to reason that the more you post, the greater the chance you have of getting your content on the FYP; you’ve got to be in it to win it.
Aim for three times a week, building up to daily posts. But don’t be tempted to post content just for the sake of it. Make sure it’s good quality and engaging.
You also need to post at the right times.
As engagement increases your chances of getting on the FYP, you should post when your audience is online and ready to interact.
So how will you know when the best times are?
- Head to our post on the best times to post on TikToK and establish a baseline time to start with.
- Switch to a TikTok Pro account. Like using templates for meeting notes, the Pro account makes your life much easier. With it, you can see the days and times your followers are most active and engaged.
- Look at the geographic locations of your audience to make sure your time zone is aligned.
2. Use trending hashtags
Using trending hashtags makes your content more likely to be picked up by the algorithm and, therefore, boosts your chances of hitting the FYP. Just like Instagram hashtags, TikTok hashtags categorize your content and increase your discoverability.
Aim for quality, not quantity–choose 3-6 trending hashtags that are relevant to your content.
You can use #fyp and #ForYou, but there’s no guarantee this will work. Hashtags relevant to your content and niche provide a better chance of success with your TikTok marketing and will help you attract the right followers.
For help choosing hashtags, search for keywords relevant to your niche and see what hashtags the most popular videos are using; or you can even rely on basic keyword research from your SEO efforts.
3. Post unique (and better) content
TikTok rewards high-quality, engaging content. If your video gets a good reaction, it’s got a better chance of ending up on the FYP. But how do you ensure your content is a cut above the rest?
Firstly, your video and audio quality must be top-notch. Most smartphones offer HD video, so it’s easy to create high-resolution videos without a big budget.
Take inspiration from others but don’t be tempted to copy. Users enjoy unique content, so make sure your TikTok ideas stand out from the crowd. We’ve got lots of ideas in our guide to going live on TikTok.
Take trends in a new direction. Get creative and experiment with filters, stickers, and transitions. This will increase views and engagement.
4. Create short, engaging videos
TikTok cares about completion rates. Basically, that’s how many people watch your video to the very end. The more viewers that do so, the more likely your content is to get on the For You Page.
Videos can be up to one minute long, but the theory is that making your videos as short as possible will increase their chances of being watched to the end. But again, quality is king. If they are short, make sure they are still fun, interesting, and engaging. Your main aim should be boosting their chances of likes and shares.
Experiment with different lengths to find what works best for you.
5. Collaborate with influencers
Collaborations expand your reach, and if your partner shows up on the FYP, you’ll benefit too. You can collaborate with creators in many ways, including duets and Stitches (we show you how to Stitch on TikTok here).
TikTok has the highest influencer engagement rate of any other platform. So you can jump the queue to the FYP by getting instant engagement when you partner with TikTok influencers.
To get started, identify the best TikTokers and influencers for your campaign and schedule some time to chat with them, over the phone, email, or even web-based conferencing.
6. Use trending audio clips or video effects to boost discoverability
Music plays a significant role in TikTok’s videos—think of music and sounds as hashtags.
Users can search for specific audio clips, sounds, and effects in the app. By using trending audio clips in your video content, you can boost your likes, comments, and views.
How do you find popular sounds to use in your videos?
Tap the ‘Sounds’ button and check out the ‘Discover’ page for trending sounds, recommended sounds for your videos, and more.
And you can save them as favorites to use later when you’re feeling inspired.
7. Write short, interesting captions
You’re limited to 150 characters, so you need to focus on writing short captions that include relevant hashtags and that encourage engagement.
Try creating curiosity-piquing captions like “Wait to see what happens at the end”. This could boost views and completion rates. You could also ask a question to spark viewers’ interest. Or tease the information you’re about to reveal.
8. Use a hook to draw in your audience
The hook—the vital first few seconds of your video—is like the headline of your TikTok content. It must grab your audience’s attention and make them want to watch until the end. Research popular videos in your niche so you can tailor your hook to resonate with your target audience.
Here are a few killer ways to begin your hooks that have been proven to increase views:
- Want to know the secrets to…
- I’m about to reveal to you…
- The biggest mistake people make when…
However you craft your hooks, make sure they’re personalized for your audience. This will help increase engagement and your chances of hitting TikTok’s FYP.
Set your sights on TikTok’s For You Page
There’s no surefire formula for landing your content on the TikTok FYP, and the algorithm is constantly changing. But social media marketing trends indicate that TikTok is becoming a major player, so you must be ready to maximize its potential.
The great thing is that you don’t need loads of followers to get on the FYP. And if you try out these eight hacks, you’ll significantly increase your chances of securing your spot.
- Consistently post at the most optimal time
- Use trending hashtags
- Post unique (and better) content
- Create short, engaging videos
- Collaborate with influencers
- Use trending audio clips or video effects
- Write short, interesting captions
- Use a hook to draw in your audience
About the author
Jenna Bunnell is the Senior Manager for Content Marketing at Dialpad—an AI-incorporated, cloud-hosted, unified communications system that provides valuable call details for business owners and sales representatives—with helpful resources like these sales coaching tips from Dialpad. She is driven and passionate about communicating a brand’s design sensibility and visualizing how content can be presented in creative and comprehensive ways. Check out her LinkedIn profile.
The post 8 Easy Ways to Get on TikTok’s FYP (& What It Means) appeared first on WordStream.